Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Power to Re-choose...Re-choosing YOU!

Choosing you. It seems simple doesn’t it? It seems it should be as simple as breathing. But it can be one of the most difficult things we can do in our lives. As I’ve mentioned before, as children we’re taught not to trust our feelings, our intuitions, and ourselves. We say, it looks right but feels wrong. And those feelings are stuffed down and ignored. We cancel ourselves out. So we eat to ease the pain, to unwind, to feel normal.

So what stops people from making the decision to re-choose themselves and stop the cycle of overeating? When I was 260lbs busting out of a size 24 there was a disconnect between me and me, i.e. my being-ness. I was canceling myself out. The pain of not eating made me so miserable. But, what if, when we’re anxious and overwhelmed and we feel the need to eat, we stop and ask, “What do I really need at this moment.” “Will this take me towards my intention, my heart’s desire?” When I take the time to ask myself what do I really need, the answer is always there. It’s quiet but nevertheless, it’s there. When we focus on the end result, we can get through anything. By focusing on this and consciously re-choosing ourselves, we can create a better life for ourselves and everyone around us. When we put down the fork and pick ourselves up and connect to our being-ness the “gap” is fulfilled in a way that food could never fill.

Reconnecting with our being-ness enables us to make the choices that are necessary to lose the weight and keep it off. But how do we physically re-choose ourselves in the moments we feel compelled to eat those two pizzas and six to eight candy bars? Stop. Just stop. Re-choose the moment. Take time to think, to breathe. Do I need to take a walk? Listen to music? Dance? Pray? Meditate? Do I need to rest? Take tiny steps towards the goal of re-choosing you. Maybe this time, it’s two pizzas and one candy bar. As we keep re-choosing ourselves and making those little changes, we gain more confidence to make more changes.

I lost my first 20 pounds by just eating three meals a day—three gigantic meals a day—with life in between that was tough enough at 260 pounds. But by re-choosing and taking small steps I was able to make big changes

Choosing you is a choice you have to make everyday. Re-connect to your being-ness and re-choose you to live the life you’ve always envisioned!

Next week: Dishing it up…What’s your food plan?

1 comment:

  1. I like this, it is simple. Small steps I can do. Before I make an unhealthy action, I can stop and think "Will this take me away or toward my heart's desire?". Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete